When people talk about dangerous snakes like the black mamba and the cobra, at least one person in the conversation will ask if the snake is poisonous or not. Supported by medical references and random mentions on television and elsewhere in the media, the phrase “venomous snake” has been etched into our collective consciousness. But this statement is not technically correct – strictly speaking, most dangerous snakes are venomous.
According to biologists, this term Sam It is applied to organisms that bite (or sting) to inject their venom, while the term toxic It applies to living organisms that release their toxins when ingested. This means that very few snakes are truly venomous. The vast majority of snake venoms are transmitted via their bite. The only exception is the ligamentous serpent (eightnovis) It is small and harmless in terms of its bite, but it is poisonous to eat because its body absorbs and stores the toxins of its prey (waters and salamanders).
Poisonous animals include most amphibians (i.e. frogs, toads, salamanders, etc.), which carry a certain amount of toxins on their skin and within their other tissues, such as the highly toxic venom secreted by various poison dart frogs. These chemicals are strong enough that they can be deadly to humans, so it would be wise to keep these creatures off your menu.
Besides snakes, dangerous spiders are also generally considered poisonous. Some lizards are also poisonous. The strength of the lizard’s venom ranges from relatively mild, like that of the Gila monster (Suspected heloderma) and various types of iguanas, to the witches’ drink of toxins and bacteria that are injected into the prey of the Komodo dragon (Varanus comodonsis). In addition, other animals (such as bees, ants, and wasps) are venomous even though they do not have fangs themselves. platypus (Ornithorncus anatinus) is perhaps the most famous of the venomous mammals. Male platypuses have a tusk-like protrusion on the inner side of each ankle connected to a venom gland located above the thighs. The spur can be used in defense, and the venom is strong enough to kill small animals and cause great pain in humans if the spur pierces the skin. Similarly, stingers (jellyfish, corals, and sea anemones) have capsules called nematocysts (which may be small, elongated, or spherical) containing coiled, usually hollow, barbed threads, which can be turned outward to ward off enemies or capture prey. These barbed threads often contain toxins.
When it comes to plants, things get a little fuzzy. Many plants, such as the killer nightshade (Atropa belladonna) and castor beans (Castor communis), they are toxic and therefore should not be ingested. Additionally, while the plants do not have formal teeth, ankle spurs, or nematocysts, some do have similar structures that can deliver toxins to the unsuspecting victims they attack. One of the most famous poisonous plants is poison ivy (poisonous roots); Almost all parts of the plant contain urushiol, a substance that can cause intense itching and a painful inflammation of the skin known as contact dermatitis. However, it would be a stretch to call poison ivy an exaggerated name Sam (At any rate, we should start calling it “Poison Ivy,” right?). On the other hand, nettles, a group of about 80 species belonging to the genus Nettle Urtica, may actually qualify as toxic. These plants have raised structures called trichomes that are capable of stinging animals that bump into them. in stinging nettle (Urtica dioica), the trichomes of leaves and stems have bulbous tips that break when an animal passes near them, revealing needle-like tubes piercing the skin. They inject a mixture of acetylcholine, formic acid, histamine, and serotonin, which causes a burning, itchy rash in humans and other animals that can last up to 12 hours. Granted, these tooth-like (or needle-like) structures are not technically tusks, but they provide a very similar defensive function.